You can now acquire competencies of education for Sustainable Development free of charge.
TU Berlin is opening the \”Blue Engineering Course\” to ENHANCE students. Through the interdisciplinary Blue Engineering Course, students complement their disciplinary knowledge with an orientation knowledge and acquire competencies of an education for sustainable development.
- Engineers with Social and Ecological Responsibility
- 6 ECTS online course offered for free by TU Berlin
- Mondays – 14.00 > 16.00 CET
- From 04 October to 20 December 2021
You can find more information at Blue Engineering web.
Information about Blue Engineering Course
Blue Engineering Course will help them know their role within society, encourage them to shape it with others, and engage in a social-ecological transformation. The concept is currently used at 13 universities in Germany, and starting this semester at TU Delft is the first international course.
The course is held digitally and in English, and by completing the course, students can earn an equivalent of 6 ECTS. TU Berlin issues the certificate. The course starts already on 4 October and will end on 20 December 2021.
Interactive university teaching, which gives students the chance to deal with their social and ecological responsibility, is possible and can easily be implemented at universities – also digitally and also in English.
In interdisciplinary discussions and by using diverse methods, technology is reflected, analyzed, and questioned in the context of our society and environment. You, as participants, are encouraged to think and learn independently and creatively. Teacher-centered instruction does not occur in our course. By developing and carrying out your own teaching/learning units, you are actively involved in the teaching process and thus co-create the course.
Through digital teaching, we are no longer bound to university or geographical boundaries. In the coming semester, we want to make the most of this opportunity and welcome students from all over the world to our international English Blue Engineering course.
Questions and Answers about Blue Engineering Course
What is the concept of the Blue Engineering course?
The concept is an Interactive course on the social and ecological responsibility of engineers.
Blue Engineering is an international and innovative workshop-style course provided by Technische Universität Berlin – a leading university of technology in Germany. It focuses on ecological and social responsibility. The course facilitates creative, interdisciplinary, and sometimes heated debates on the issues posed by technology in society and in nature. The course creates an inclusive and open learning environment that offers a refreshing alternative to teacher-centered instruction. In times of digital university, it enables the students to network beyond their university and even beyond national borders while exchanging ideas and getting ready to act. The course concept is already implemented at ten universities in Germany and reaches over 350 students every semester.
What is it about?
Sustainability, Responsibility, and Technology.
As the course focuses on sustainability, topics such as technology assessment, engineers’ responsibilities, the neutrality of technology, plastics, gender/diversity, and self-chosen topics of the participants’ teaching units will be covered. It features one core reading, namely The Productivity Worldview, which helps to frame the course.
Which learning outcomes?
– analyze and evaluate the present reciprocal relations of technology, individuals, nature, society, and democracy by taking different perspectives. Based on this analysis and evaluation, they can state their personal perspective and values of the reciprocal relations and act accordingly.
– cooperate with others to analyze and evaluate in a democratic process the present reciprocal relations of technology, individuals, nature, society, and democracy. Based on their analysis and evaluation, they can work out a collective understanding concerning their collective values and democratize the reciprocal relations.
– acquire 12 key competencies of an Education for Sustainable Development: 1) perspective-taking; 2) anticipation; 3) gaining interdisciplinary knowledge; 4) deal with incomplete and overcomplex information; 5) cooperation; 6) cope with dilemmas of individual decision-making; 7) participation; 8) motivation; 9) reflect principles; 10) act morally; 11) act independently; 12) support of others.
– design their co-conduct their own course and contribute to the further development of the entire Blue Engineering Course.